Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A day trip to Cambridge and the terror of poetry

  So, I had a lovely calm weekend at the manor. I watched movies with my friends and slept a lot. On Saturday my routine changed and I went on a day trip to Cambridge with the school. The weather was lovely, for the first time ever, and Cambridge was beautiful.

  We started the day with a stop at the American Memorial Cemetery at Cambridge. We were told this was a small cemetery for the an American's abroad cemetery. It didn't feel that way. We were surrounded by Cross and Star of David white marble headstones everywhere. They did not reach all the way to the horizon like it felt like the Normandy cemetery did, but it was still enough to overwhelm me. I was in awe of the sacrifices these men and women had made, returning tour after tour to continue to fight for what they believed in. Freedom. There were so many stories of people valiantly facing death and continuing to persever for their fellow man. The chapel there was a beautifully decorated in mosaics with angels going to heaven and planes of soldiers joining them. It was a powerful Memorial Day weekend stop.

Our next  stop was the city of Cambridge. This college town is filled to the brim with pubs, cafes, and history. Everywhere we turned there was another college that produce amazing scholars, writers, and scientists. We started our city experience with a basic walk around and found our way to a fun outdoor market, where I did not buy everything insight. We then found another outdoor market, but this one was an artisan market and I did spend a chunk of money, but it was from an artist who made everything herself. Then, we went punting!!! It was awesome!!! Punting is when you go down the river in a punt, which is a small boat with a landing on the back for someone to row. We decided to have a guided tour instead of punting ourselves. It was a very good decision. We finished our trip with a stop at the Eagle Pub where Crick and Watson announced their discovery of the double helix.



So, I have talked about my class and it is still wonderful, but it is different now that I have been workshopped. I am realizing that even though I have some natural writing talent I have a lot to learn and I need to put more effort into thought. So, we will see where this leads me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment