Friday, September 23, 2011

Night

For my first year seminar class we had to read Night by Elie Wiesel. This a powerful book about Elie Wiesel's life in concentration camps. It broke me. Yet another event to make me reexamine my life and the way I chose to live. I don't want to turn a blind eye to the suffering in the world. I want to speak out. I want to be a person of the world not just live in the world. If you haven't read Night yet I suggest you pick it up. How could humans do this? How did they loose their humanity? Why did the rest of the world not respond fast enough? Where were the humanitarians, the lovers of the world, those how believe in mercy? At the end of the book there is a copy of Elie Wiesel's Nobel Peace Price acceptance speech. It is truly amazing and touched my heart in a way I needed. I have attached a link to it here http://www.pbs.org/eliewiesel/nobel/index.html. Please read it. I am currently considering multiple paintings based on this memoir . I will keep you updated. For the next few weeks I am going to schedule times to do more research that will help me learn more about the world around me.
May our eyes stay open and we don't fall asleep on the world,
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment