Sunday, May 12, 2013

The first leg of an amazing journey

I AM IN ENGLAND!!! I have finally made it. And I am in love with it here. My university has this amazing campus in England that you can attend either for the summer or semesters. I picked the summer. However, I got to start the trip early by staying with Boyfriend and his parents, which meant I got to explore some less touristy parents of the area. But I will explain about that later.

Let me catch you up:
The trip started out in a very bumpy way, not literally though. The night before the trip my parents and I tried to check-in to my flight to no aval, then we figured out that my name was misspelled. We thought that would be an easy, though time consuming, fix. Nope. Not my luck. We fix the spelling, but we still can't check in so we get to the airport way earlier than normal and explained the situation to a very kinda neon clad airline worker. After numerous phone calls and computer checks my knight in neon armor was able to print my ticket for my flight to Chicago, but could not assist with my ticket to London. So, after our plane landed Boyfriend and I went running across the airport to my international flights kiosk and without even breaking a sweat my next knight fixed my ticket and Boyfriend and I were on our way.










First two days: Beach Days
Exhausted after the flight we landed, but Boyfriends parents knew better than to let us sleep. We went to the beach near their home (yes, you did read that correctly). We went to a pub and then wandered around the beach. This beach is different that any other I have ever seen. When the tide goes out it really goes out. I goes out for what seems like miles, and might very well be, and it leaves behind this thick mud that people like to play in. Then, we walked down to the castle ruins close to their home. (I didn't get pictures and I am kicking myself for it.) And then, we crashed.
The next day we slept in and then went to the longest pier in the world. It has a train and everything. This were amazing days just soaking in all of the beauty of England and falling in love with it.

the longest pier in the world
Next two days: London days
Boyfriend's parents live very close to London and that meant we got to really explore London. The first day Boyfriend and I went to the Tower of London and I was amazed at my mixture of love and disgust at this place. It is truly a wonderful piece of history, but it also has such a dark past. I am still trying to reconcile my feelings for it.

 The we got to go to the most wonderful place in the world, THE GLOBE. As in Shakespeare's Globe. The starting place of some of the most important and wonderful works of literature ever. We even got to see a play standing in the commoners section. And not only did we see a play we saw the one and only Tempest. It was outstanding the actors were just brimming with love for their craft and characters, and it made me truly miss theatre. We then had fish and chips, my first time trying them, and they were yummy.
The next day started a little late, but we got to go to Liberty of London and I might have looked a little like this:
I wanted everything! but I am a poor college student so I only got most of the things they sold, not all. If you aren't aware Liberty of London makes some of the best and most beautiful fabrics in the world. They are also a department store filled with different but wonderful things. I left with 2 rolls of fat quarters, a needlepoint project that ends up as a clutch, and somethings for my mom. (I took no pictures, it seemed wrong)
Next, we stopped to have lunch (yes it took me that long, sorry Boyfriend) in one of the numerous beautiful parks and got to enjoy a beautiful view as we ate.
Then, we visited Buckingham Palace and continued to travel to see all the sights. And we ended up at Westminster Abbey for EvenSong, on Ascension Day! I can even begin to describe how beautiful and powerful that service was.

The next day we explored more castle ruins and little towns. And then they brought me to my home for now, Harlaxton College. I will post pictures and a description of it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment